Tom Horn forum Tom-Horn.com Home
Tom Horn Forum Home
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 10:05:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  tom-horn.com
|-+  Tom Horn Discussions
| |-+  Tom Horn News
| | |-+  Tom Horn Rifle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Tom Horn Rifle  (Read 9921 times)
Tom-Horn.com Forum Administrator
Administrator

Tom Horn Rifle
« on: September 24, 2006, 06:16:59 PM »

original post:

Swallowfork
May 24 2006, 11:42 PM
Howdy. As you are aware I am a new member so you will have to excuse me if I ask something that has been discussed before. During a recent trip to Alabama, a friend took me to an antique shop to show me a "special" firearm (I am an avid Cowboy Action Shooter). The firearm turned out to be '76 Winchester in .45-60. There was a small bronze plaque on it that said; "Presented to Tom Horn by Al Sieber" or similar words. The owner said it was authenticated as the real thing. Have you heard of this rifle?
Best wishes to all.
Swallowfork
charlie j (svenska50@hotmail.co
May 26 2006, 01:50 AM
Tho not the expert, I thought Mr Horn's rifle wasa Model 93 Marlin 30-30 rifle ( not the carbine) , in spite of the 45-60 reference in the movie. Maybe you saw some sort of a replica?

Hmmmmmmm...
Chip
May 26 2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks for your interest!
There are a lot of firearms out there that purportedly belonged to Tom Horn. It's difficult to verify the authenticity, however -- extremely. One thing that can be done, however, is to find an expert (a real expert) who can actually date the type of engraving.
Other than that, be sceptical.

QUOTE(Swallowfork @ May 24 2006, 11:42 PM)
Howdy.  As you are aware I am a new member so you will have to excuse me if I ask something that has been discussed before.  During a recent trip to Alabama, a friend took me to an antique shop to show me a "special" firearm (I am an avid Cowboy Action Shooter).  The firearm turned out to be '76 Winchester in .45-60.  There was a small bronze plaque on it that said;  "Presented to Tom Horn by Al Sieber" or similar words.  The owner said it was authenticated as the real thing.  Have you heard of this rifle?
Best wishes to all.
Swallowfork

Swallowfork
May 27 2006, 12:12 AM
No, this was not a replica. It was an honest-to-goodness '76 Winchester in .45-60
Chip
Jun 9 2006, 05:41 PM
The rifle Horn used in Wyoming at the time of his arrest was a 30-30 Winchester 1894 with a button magazine.

I have not seen anything other than that that can be verified as belonging to him.

Thanks for checking in.

-- Chip Carlson

QUOTE(Swallowfork @ May 24 2006, 11:42 PM)
Howdy.  As you are aware I am a new member so you will have to excuse me if I ask something that has been discussed before.  During a recent trip to Alabama, a friend took me to an antique shop to show me a "special" firearm (I am an avid Cowboy Action Shooter).  The firearm turned out to be '76 Winchester in .45-60.  There was a small bronze plaque on it that said;  "Presented to Tom Horn by Al Sieber" or similar words.  The owner said it was authenticated as the real thing.  Have you heard of this rifle?
Best wishes to all.
Swallowfork

sarah
Jun 14 2006, 07:07 PM
i am tom horns great great niece livin in englan i need 2 know more bout him
Chip
Jun 17 2006, 06:11 PM
QUOTE(sarah @ Jun 14 2006, 07:07 PM)
i am tom horns great great niece livin in englan i need 2 know more bout him

Actually, the best source for reliable information is my book on Tom Horn (Tom Horn: Blood on the Moon), which is history.

You could order it from me, and I can personalize the inscription with my autograph, or acquire it via Amazon.com or used through ABEBooks.com.

Feel free to contact me at info@tom-horn.com.

Chip Carlson
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Website supported with the handmade jewelry of Night Fox Jewelry. tom-horn.com | Powered by SMF 1.0.8.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.
Forum development by LiveShore.